Thursday, November 7, 2019

Editing

It has been a week ever since I finished filming the commercial. I was satisfied with the shots that i took and was prepared to edit. Unfortunately due to circumstances out of my control, I was unable to do so. The computers in the room we used for class ceased to function and our project was delayed due to this. We were forced to wait for a week in order to receive temporary laptops with editing software. Whilst we waited, we continued with lessons in cinematography. Our lectures focused on how to identify angles and editing techniques as well as why they are important. This week, on Tuesday, is when we finally got the temporary laptops. However there were only a limited amount that did not allow the whole class to work on their commercial at the same time. To remedy our problem, our teachers made us take shifts of 40 minutes each on the computers so that everyone would get a chance to edit our project.

We were randomly selected to go either first or second on the computers. I was selected to go second and told to wait my turn to get the computer. I waited and planned what editing I would do. After the first group was finished, we were called up and told to get a laptop. I collected the computer, and sat down to edit, however, there was something wrong with the computer. After successfully signing into the computer, I tried to look for the editing software but I could not find it. I informed my teachers, and they told me that there was a couple of computers like that and that I had to put it back. I was frustrated, as there was no additional computers, but I put the computer back as instructed. I did not manage to edit at all on Tuesday due to this. Therefore, I planned my edit in more detail and thought about what I wanted to do it. I headed out of class frustrated, and even more stressed than before.

Finally, on Thursday, I could now actually edit my commercial. I headed into class, and got  a laptop that I hoped actually worked and turned it on. To my surprise, it actually did, and I could, after a week, finally start my editing. I took my files that I had on my google drive and put into the actual computer. After, I took said files and put them into pinnacle studios. Then, I arranged the shots in order and made sure that it was like I planned it on the storyboard. I then make sure the cuts were timed well, and that any one shot dragged on too long. I then removed the sound from the shots themselves. Unfortunately for me, Thursday was a short day, and classes were less than half as long as they usually are, so my edit was not complete. The good news is that I only have to smooth out the transition between shots, and add background music. I hope to have this finished quickly by next class.




No comments:

Post a Comment